The British Lung Foundation (BLF) has produced two new resources aimed at pharmacists and their teams:
- Questions to ask your respiratory patients – a simple guide to act as a reminder/guide when talking to patients with a respiratory condition focussing on their understanding of their medicines, as well as promoting healthy lifestyles; and
- Supporting your respiratory patients – an introductory document to let pharmacists and their teams know about the role of the BLF and how the organisation can help them.Support for patients BLF has several resources that pharmacy teams can supply patients with or signpost patients to on the BLF website.BLF has a range of leaflets, booklets and other resources on topics such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, mesothelioma, pulmonary fibrosis and tuberculosis. These can be viewed on the website or pharmacy teams can order them to provide to patients (the publications can be ordered in bulk and are free to order and deliver).In addition, there is a local support finder on the website, which assists with finding out what support groups are available in the local area and a sign up option at the bottom of the BLF homepage to receive email updates on BLF’s work.Healthcare professionals with a special interest in respiratory care can become a BLF Professional, which includes a number of benefits such as regional study days, networking and opportunities to shadow other services.
- If you would like more information about the programme fill out the application form on the BLF website.
- For healthcare professionals and commissioners BLF has a dedicated section on their website for healthcare professionals and commissioners and there is a sign-up option on this page to receive email updates from BLF aimed at healthcare professionals and commissioners.
- There is a web community, which allows people to chat to others who are in a similar situation, ask questions or just have a look at what is being discussed. A helpline is also available for advice about living with a lung condition. The BLF helpline answers more than 17,000 calls a year and is available on 03000 030 555.
- There is easy-to-understand information about lung conditions and also lots of advice on how people can get the most out of life with a lung condition.
- As well as the new resources, BLF offers other resources and support to patients, healthcare professionals and commissioners: