PSNC Pharmacy Advice Audit: Paperwork and guidance now available
Community pharmacy contractors can now access guidance about the upcoming pharmacy advice clinical audit, including full details of how to take part in the audit.
As announced last week, community pharmacy teams are being encouraged to take part in an audit that will capture information about the advice they give to visitors to their pharmacy. The audit, which can be carried out as one of your contractual (clinical) audit for 2020/21, should be carried out on a single day in the week commencing Monday 29th June.
To successfully complete the audit, pharmacy teams will need to:
- Record patient/customer interactions where advice was given by either a non-pharmacist team member and/or a pharmacist.
- Carry this out for one whole day recording all consultations. (To be a valid audit, each pharmacy needs to achieve at least 20 consultations, therefore a small number will need to continue for a second day.)
- Estimate the percentage of consultations that were recorded during that time period (this is to recognise that some consultations may be missed).
- Rate your confidence in the advice given to help identify areas for improvement to reflect on post-audit.
- Enter the data on PharmOutcomes.
A team briefing sheet and audit template are now available to support contractors and their teams in preparing to undertake this audit. The briefing sheet sets out the criteria for inclusion, what needs to be recorded and how to reflect on your pharmacy’s results. It also answers some frequently asked questions as identified during testing with a small number of pharmacies. The audit template provides a simple way to record the required data, making things smoother for data entry onto PharmOutcomes
This audit will help demonstrate the added value your pharmacy team delivers and, alongside data from other pharmacies, will assist PSNC in gathering evidence to support the ongoing funding negotiations, including our call for more investment in the sector.