Plymouth Inhaler Technique Use Reviews
Inhaler technique checks in community pharmacy
Many pharmacies check inhaler technique during a face to face consultation with patients. This may be as part of MURs, NMS or locally commissioned services.
Given the current COVID-19 pandemic and potential for transmission of infection via saliva, the CCG would recommend pharmacies do not use devices to check inhaler technique at the present time, particularly as the mouthpiece will contact the patient’s saliva.
Devices used in checking inhaler technique may include, placebo inhalers, inchecks, AIMS machines, flo-tones, etc.
Please remember to think about infection control if reviewing inhaler technique and make use of options such as https://www.rightbreathe.com/ which is also available as a phone app
A pilot is being undertaken with a few selected community pharmacies in Plymouth.
- Plymouth Inhaler Technique Review – May 2018
- Plymouth Pharmacy Inhaler Use Review – Key Slides
- Plymouth Pharmacy Inhaler Use Review Pilot – Service Specification
Link to videos showing inhaler technique on NEW Devon CCGs website.
- Plymouth Pharmacy Inhaler Use Review Pilot – Consent form_
- Plymouth Pharmacy Inhaler Use Review Pilot – Patient smoking information leaflet
- Plymouth Pharmacy Inhaler Use Review Pilot – Patient Medication Waste
- Plymouth Pharmacy Inhaler Use Review Pilot Patient Information Leaflet