Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Consultation Toolkit
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is currently the fifth leading cause of death and is set to become the third by 2030.1 The numbers of COPD hospital admissions have increased by 50% over the last 10 years and now account for around 10% of all medical admissions.
This ‘COPD Pharmacist Consultation Toolkit’ is designed to help improve the confidence of the community pharmacist to provide high quality consultations for patients using medicines for COPD: COPD patient pharmacist consultations can help to:
- establish the patient’s actual use, understanding and experience of taking medicines;
- identify, discuss and assist in the resolution of poor or ineffective use of medicines by the patient;
- identify side effects and drug interactions that may affect the patient’s compliance with instructions given to them by a health care professional for the taking of medicines; and
- improve clinical and cost effectiveness of medicines prescribed to patients.
The toolkit consists of:
- Knowledge update on COPD and its management Devon LPC COPD Toolkit 2014 V2
- ‘The COPD Consultation’ – designed to be used with patients Devon LPC COPD Consultation 2014 V2
- Patient Pre-consultation Record Form – designed to be given to the patient to help identify issues pre-consultation and then be used by the patient as a reminder of the intervention plan agreed in the consultation to improve their disease control and implement lifestyle changes Devon LPC COPD Consultation Patient Record Form 2014 V2.