Flu Vaccination Service 2019-20
PSNC has worked with NHS England and NHS Improvement to agree some changes to the community pharmacy Flu Vaccination Service for 2019/20, including negotiating an uplift to fees for the second consecutive year.
The changes include;
- The fee for the service will increase to £8.08 per administered dose plus an additional fee of £1.50 per vaccination, making the total payment £9.58;
- Due to the proven success of the service, community pharmacy contractors are no longer required to ask patients to complete a patient questionnaire after they have received a flu vaccination;
- Notification of the patient having received a vaccination can no longer be sent to the patient’s GP practice by fax – this supports the Health and Social Care Secretary’s tech vision to ban fax machines in the NHS by April 2020;
- Claims for payments must now be made using the NHSBSA Manage Your Service (MYS) platform – PSNC has already The changes are contained within the service specification and the Patient Group Direction, which have been published today.The service is due to commence on 1st September 2019, subject to amendments to the Secretary of State Directions being made by the Department of Health and Social Care. PSNC will notify contractors when the amendments have been made and the date they can commence provision of the service.Click here to read morePSNC support
PSNC Briefing 031/19: Guidance on the 2019/20 Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Advanced Service should be read in conjunction with the service specification and PGD and explains what contractors need to do to offer the service. This includes how to confirm that their premises are appropriate, pharmacist training and Declaration of Competence requirements, data capture and sharing of information, vaccine storage, gaining patient consent, GP notification and claiming payments. A checklist is also included in the Briefing, which contractors can print out and work through to ensure they have everything they need in place to successfully provide the service.The flu vaccination hub on the PSNC website has also been updated for the 2019/20 service.encouraged contractors to register for MYS as the first step for preparing for the 2019/20 Pharmacy Quality Scheme.
- Service Specification for Seasonal Flu 2019-20
- PGD for Influenza Pharmacy Service
A link to the Secretary of State Directions, which provide the legal basis for provision of the service is available from the NHS Business Services Authority website.
Contractors should read PSNC Briefing 031/19: Guidance on the Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Advanced Service 2019/20 (in addition to the service specification and Patient Group Direction) as this provides detailed advice on what contractors need to have in place before providing the service.
The Flu Season 2019-20 – Planning for Success
We’ve read a number of articles published recently that share top tips on how to prepare for the flu service season. All make for great reading and may inspire you to have a go.